When the Power Goes Off
Power outages sometimes happen. Outages can be caused by storms, high wind, animals in substation, lightning, equipment failure, tree contact, and public accidents. Cedar-Knox PPD will respond to trouble/service calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Customers having a 254 prefix should call (402) 254-6291 and all other customers can use 1-800-891-5196. After regular working hours, company personnel on duty will answer your call. Duty personnel use cell phones; if it is a major outage your call may be forwarded to our after hour phone system.
If severe storms or general outages occur, personnel is usually at the office. ALWAYS remember that we want to be notified promptly if outages occur - don't hesitate to call. We will respond as quickly as possible.
Power Outage Checklist
- Check breaker and fuses- have a supply of fuses on hand. Most partial outages result from a short or overload on a wiring circuit.
- To determine whether outage is a an individual outage or not, check to see if the neighbors have power.
- Stay away from power lines - Consider any downed power line to be energized and extremely dangerous.
Calling to Report a Problem
- Please state your name, address or location and PHONE NUMBER.
- Provide a brief report of the problem.
Danger! Use Caution! Contact with high voltage energized power lines is sudden death. You should assume that all power lines are energized. If a pole is broken or a conductor has improper clearance, because of an accident or storm, notify us IMMEDIATELY.
Standby Generators: Warning!
If you use a standby generator during power outages, remember that improper generator hookup can create a serious problem for the safety of our service personnel. It is very important that your generator has a double-throw switch. This switching device is used to transfer the electric service from the power line to the generator. If not used properly, feedback from the generator voltage back on to the power lines could endanger the lives of the line crews working to restore your power.